What is a cookie?
A cookie It is a text file harmless which is stored in your browser when you visit almost any website. The usefulness of cookie It is that the web is able to remember your visit when I return to surf this page. Although many people do not know the cookies They have been in use since 20 years, when they appeared the first browsers for the World Wide Web.
What IS NOT a cookie?
It is not a virus, or a Trojan, or a worm, ni spam, ni spyware, or open pop-up windows.
What information stores a cookie?
The cookies not often store sensitive information about you, such as credit cards or bank details, Photographs, your ID or personal information, etc. Data stored are technical in nature, personal preferences, content customization, etc.
The web server will not associate you as a person if not to your web browser. In fact, If you regularly browse with Internet Explorer and try to browse the same web with Firefox or Chrome you will see that the web does not realize that you are the same person because you are actually associating the browser, not the person.
What kind of cookies exist?
- Cookies techniques: They are the most basic and allow, among other things, know when you are browsing a human or an automated application, when an anonymous user navigates and one registered, basic tasks for running any dynamic web.
- Cookies analysis: Collect information on the type of navigation being done, most used sections, Find a product, use time slot, language, etc.
- Cookies advertising: Display advertising based on browsing, their country of origin, language, etc.
What are the cookies own and third?
The own cookies They are generated by the page you're visiting and third They are generated by external service providers such as Facebook or, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I turn off the cookies?
To understand the scope that may have disable cookies we show some examples:
- You can not share content of this site in Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The web site will not adapt content to your personal preferences, as often happens in online stores.
- You can not access this area staff web, for example My account, O My profile O My orders.
- Online stores: It will be impossible to shop online, They will have to be telephone or by visiting the physical store if you have one.
- Not possible to customize your geographic preferences as time zone, currency language.
- The website can not perform web analytics about visitors and web traffic, which will hinder the competitive web.
- You can not write on the blog, you can not upload photos, post comments, evaluate or rate content. The web may not know whether you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam.
- No advertising may show sectioned, which will reduce advertising revenue from the web.
Can I remove cookies?
Yes. Not only remove, also block, general or particular for a specific domain.
To remove cookies a website must go to your browser settings and there you can find the associated domain in question and proceed to its elimination.
configuration cookies polulares for more browsers
Here's how to access a cookie specific browser Chrome. Note: These steps may vary depending on the browser version:
- Go to Settings or Preferences via the File menu or by clicking the icon customization that appears top right.
- You'll see different sections, Click the option Show Advanced Options.
- Go to Privacy, Content Settings.
- Select All cookies and data sites.
- a list will appear with all cookies ordered by domain. To make it easier to find cookies enter a particular domain or part of the address field Search cookies.
- After making this filter one or more lines appear on the screen cookies Site requested. Now just select it and press the X to proceed to their elimination.
To access settings cookies browser Internet Explorer follow these steps (They may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Tools, Internet Options
- Click on Privacy.
- Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy you want.
To access settings cookies browser Firefox follow these steps (They may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to options O preferences your operating system.
- Click on Privacy.
- In Record choose Use custom settings for history.
- You will now see the option accept cookies, You can turn on or off according to your preferences.
To access settings cookies browser Safari for OSX follow these steps (They may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to preferences, then Privacy.
- Here you will see the option block cookies to fit the type of lock you want to perform.
To access settings cookies browser Safari for iOS follow these steps (They may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to settings, then Safari.
- Go to Privacy & Security, you will see the option block cookies to fit the type of lock you want to perform.
To access settings cookies browser for devices Android follow these steps (They may vary depending on the browser version):
- Run the browser and press Menu, then settings.
- Go to Security and Privacy, you will see the option accept cookies to check or uncheck the box.
To access settings cookies browser for devices Windows Phone follow these steps (They may vary depending on the browser version):
- Abra Internet Explorer, then Plus, then Configuration
- Now you can enable or disable the box allow cookies.